Saturday, September 18, 2010

Going Mongo

                Driving down the street of a residential area, I see it all the time, people putting their unwanted things, usually furniture, on the curb. I also see the “free” signs that are carefully placed on top of couches, chairs, and many other items for others to others to take notice. But I had never heard the term mongo until I read the article on trash. Robin Nagel (click here) described the term as “people who take things from the trash to keep.”
                Okay, I know that we are all familiar with the term mongo after reading the article, but until I read about it, I had no idea there even was a name for taking someone else garbage and reusing it for one's self. I myself have never participated in either end of mongoing, but I have seen others take ugly discarded objects and turn art works out of the garbage. Which is why, when I read further in the article and Nagel stated that she wanted a museum with a “mongo collection, “it reminded me of the artists I have seen taking part of the mongo movement. It amazes me what people can see in meaningless waste and turn it into something useful again, or something spectacular. I, on the other hand, lack the eye to see something amazing that’s wet and dirty with a “for free” sign sitting on the curb, so I marvel at those who do have the talent and act upon the opportunity.        

No comments:

Post a Comment